Project title: Methodology to evaluate the quality and the effectiveness of environmental planning
Project number: PN-III-P1-1.1-PD-2016-0248
Contract No.: 90/2018
Funding body: The Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding (UEFISCDI)
Budget: 248.995,00 RON
The evaluation of environmental planning quality and effectiveness is a key for addressing the sustainability at local, regional and global scale. However, in many countries planning evaluation is poorly performed being mostly a formal procedure, without a strong methodological basis. The project aims to develop a coherent methodology for the evaluation of the quality and implementation effectiveness of environmental planning, taking into account Romania’s institutional, legislative, economic and social realities, including those related to the integration within the European Union. Through complex research methods (e.g. content analysis, qualitative comparative analysis, multiple correspondence analysis) the project aims to evaluate the quality of local environmental action plans (O1), the conformance and performance of these plans as well as the factors influencing their implementation effectiveness (O2). The resulted methodology (PQ-COPE, O3) will be adapted to be used for the comprehensive evaluation of environmental planning quality and effectiveness in order to improve the future environmental action plans.
The project aims at developing a methodology for the evaluation of the quality and the effectiveness of environmental planning, with a focus on the evaluation of environmental action plans.
The specific objectives of the project are:
- to evaluate the quality of environmental action plans, including the spatial and temporal variations (O1);
- to evaluate the conformance and performance of these plans as well as the factors influencing their implementation effectiveness (O2);
- to develop a methodology (PQ-COPE, O3) to comprehensively evaluate the environmental planning quality and effectiveness.
- Hossu C.A., Ioja I.C., Mitincu C.G., Artmann M., Hersperger A.M. An evaluation of environmental plans quality: addressing the rational and communicative perspectives. Journal of Environmental Management (under review)
- Iojă I.C., Breuste J., Vanau G., Hossu C.A., Niță M.R., Popa A.M., Slave R. (2019), Bridging the people-nature divide using the participatory planning of urban protected areas, „Dimitrie Cantemir” International Conference, the XXXIXth Edition, 18-20 October, Iași, Romania
- Hossu C.A., Ioja I.C., Mitincu C., Artmann, M., Hersperger A. (2019), Assessing the quality of Romania’s Local Environmental Action Plans, “Geographia Napocensis” Conference, 3-6 October, Cluj-Napoca, Romania
- Hossu C.A., Ioja I.C., Patroescu M., Hersperger A. (2019), Collaborative dispute resolution. What drives its effectiveness? International Conference “Environment at CrossrOads: SMART approaches for a sustainable future – ECOSMART”, 5-8 September, Bucharest, Romania
- Nita M.R., Iojă I.C., Hossu C.A. (2018), Green spaces approaches in strategic environmental planning, The annual conference of the Faculty of Geography: Geography in The Romanian Centenary, 17-18 November 2018, Bucharest Romania
- Hossu C.A., Ioja I.C., Nita M.R., Mitincu C. (2018), Nature-based solutions in environmental planning. Evidence from Romania, AESOP Annual Congress: Making Space from Hope, 10-14 July 2018, Gothenburg, Sweden