Project title: Integrating food provision in urban policies in the context of land use transformation and displacement
Project number: PN-III-P1-1.1-PD-2019-0588
Contract no.: PD 5/2020
Funding body: Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding (UEFISCDI)
Budget: 246.950 RON
Simona-Raluca Grădinaru – Project coordinator
Cristian Ioan Ioja – Mentor
Central hypothesis and objectives
The central hypothesis of the FoodPLand project is that (1) public authorities are mandated to propose and implement policies which integrate food security on the urban agenda. For selecting the best integration strategies, a good understanding of both (2) local land use transformations and (3) amplitude of land use displacement is needed. Such assessments would allow to (4) determine the capacity for food provision of urban regions, findings which serve for designing tailored urban planning strategies.
These four interlinked dimensions are the foundation for the specific objectives of the project:
O1. Evaluate the current integration of food security in urban policies at European and national level;
O2. Assess the direct and indirect land transformations induced by urban expansion in Romania.
O3. Evaluate the amplitude of land use displacement in Romania,
O4. Estimate current and future capacity of Romanian urban areas for food provision.
- Kaim D., Ziolkowska E., Grădinaru S.R, Pazur R. – Assessing the suitability of urban-oriented land cover products for mapping rural settlements, International Journal of Geographical Information Science.
- Grădinaru S.R., Paraschiv M., Iojă I.C., van Vliet J., Conflicting interests between local governments and the European targhet of no land take – European Science and Policy (under review).
- Grădinaru S.R., Ioja I.C., Niță R., Vânău G., Săvulescu I., Werner, R. – Feeding the cities: what abandoned agricultural lands could bring to the table. Landscape and Urban Planning (under review).
- Grădinaru S.R., Paraschiv M, Ioja I.C., Mapping agricultural land abandonment dynamics in heterogenous urbanized landscapes using extreme gradient boosting (in preparation).
- Grădinaru S.R., Hersperger A., Pierri-Daunt B. – Planning and policy approaches for future landscapes: learning from past experiences to develop novel pathways. IALE European Landscape Ecology Congress
- Rolf W., Grădinaru S.R. Productive urban landscapes – benefits, co-benefits and new modes for planning, IALE European Landscape Ecology Congress
- Bavorova M., Grădinaru S.R., Prishchepov A., Yin H., Chaudhary S., Agricultural Land Abandonment as a Global Land-Use Change Phenomenon, 2 Decembrie 2021.
- Grădinaru S.R., Iojă C.I., Vânău G O, Niță M R. How much people abandoned agricultural lands in peri-urban areas can feed? IALE European Landscape Ecology Congress, 11-15 Iulie 2022 (online).
- Grădinaru S.R., Iojă C.I., Triboi R – Peri-urban agriculture as a lever for transformative change towards urban sustainability. IOER Annual Conference 2021: Space & Transformation. 22-24 September 2021, Dresda, Germany
- Grădinaru S.R., Iojă C.I., Niță M.,Hersperger A. – Drivers of agricultural land abandonment in urban regions: A review. International Conference: From Plans to Land Change: Dynamics of Urban Regions, Zurich. 20-22 April 2021 (online)
- Grădinaru S.R., Iojă C.I., Vânău G O, Niță M R. – Scenarios for recultivation of agricultural abandoned lands in Bucharest urban region. Landscape 2021 – Diversification for Sustainable and Resilient Agriculture. 20-22 September 2021, Berlin (Online)
- Grădinaru S.R., Iojă C.I., Gabriel Ovidiu Vanau, Niță M., Integration of food security issues into county planning agendas, International Geographic Seminar Dimitrie Cantemir, 24 octombrie 2020, Iași.
- Paraschiv M.G., Iojă C.I., Grădinaru S.R., Evaluarea impactului potențial al abandonului terenurilor asupra securității alimentare a orașelor din România utilizând imagini satelitare și tehnici de machine learning, Present Environment and Sustainable Development, 21 November, Iasi.
Student research internships and master thesis:
- The integration of food supply in Romanian and European policy documents and strategies; Research internship and master thesis – Amina Hadni, Universite Paris Naterre.
- Procese recente cu impact în oferta de produse alimentare în Regiunea de Dezvoltare Sud Muntenia; Master Thesis – Monica Paraschiv, Facultatea de Geografie, Universitatea din București.
- Securitatea alimentara a orașelor – studiu de caz Municipiul București; Research internship, Stama Costin, Georgiana Barbu – Facultatea de Geografie, Universitatea din București.