Project title: Conceptualizing urbanization as driver of agricultural land abandonment
Project number: PN-III-P1-1.1-PD-2016-1156
Contract No.: 65/2018
Funding body: The Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding (UEFISCDI)
Budget: 297.485,00 RON
The CONURB project aims to conceptualize urbanization as driver of land abandonment.
The central hypothesis of this proposed research is that (i) local manifestations of urbanization as driver of agricultural land abandonment in urban regions can be revealed through spatially explicit analysis which incorporate social, economic, environmental and political factors. Among them, planning as political factor, can play a decisive role in through (ii) planning instruments which insufficiently promote efficient use of land, and (iii) planning practices which can amplify the process of abandonment.
Project objectives start with determining the role of urbanization as spatially explicit driver of abandonment by analysing socio-economic, and political factors (O1). Then, we evaluate the ability of current planning instruments to promote efficient use of urban land (O2). Finally, we predict the contribution of planning to future patterns of abandonment (O3).
- Grădinaru S.R, Triboi R., Iojă C.I., Artmann M. (2018) Contribution of agricultural activities to urban sustainability: insights from pastoral practices in Bucharest and its peri-urban area. Habitat International, 82, 62-71.
- Grădinaru S.R., Fan P., Iojă C.I., Niță M.R., Suditu B., Hersperger A.M. (2019) Linking national policies and built-up development patterns in Romania. Land use Policy (under review).
- Grădinaru S.R., Cristian Iojă, Mihai R. Niță, Denisa Badiu – Evaluarea rolului abandonului activităților agricole în diminuarea capacității de furnizare a hranei în zonele urbane și peri-urbane, Conferința anuală a Facultății de Geografie “Geography in the Romanian Centenary”, 17-18 November 2018, Bucharest, Romania
- Grădinaru S.R., Peilei Fan, Cristian Iojă, Mihai R. Niță, Anna M. Hersperger – Planning for urban built-up development at national level: linking policy and patterns in Romania, 4th Open Science Meeting 2019, 24-26 April, Bern, Switzerland
- Grădinaru S.R., Cristian Iojă, Mihai R. Niță, Denisa Badiu – Potential of abandoned agricultural land for food provision in urban settings, 1-5 Julie 2019, IALE World Congress, Milan, Italy.
- Cristian Ioja, Grădinaru S.R., Ana Maria Popa – Changing visions: the impact of regional and county planning on land changes in Bucharest urban region, 1-5 Julie 2019, IALE World Congress, Milan, Italy.
Organization of scientific events
- Addressing the challenges of the Anthropocene with strategic planning: novel ways to couple ecological sciences and territorial governance Symposium, 1-5 July 2019, IALE World Congress, Milan, Italy; co-organizers: Anna Hersperger (WSL, Switzerland), Beatriz Pieri Daunt (Sao Paolo University, Brasil)