Centre for Environmental Research and Impact Studies (CCMESI) was established on 1st of March 1993 as a research unit within the University of Bucharest.
The founders of CCMESI are the late professor Valer Miron Trufas and professor Maria Patroescu.
The Centre for Environmental Research (CCMESI) conducts theoretical and field-based research on issues related to environmental sciences and biodiversity. Our mission is to help practitioners to address the local, regional, and global environmental issues. Research results are shared with the general public, practitioners, and scientific community through research papers, books, technical reports, conferences, and participation at debates. We successfully approach subjects such as rural and urban landscape, environmental quality, water quality, species protection (large carnivore, reptiles, amphibians, birds). The activity of the research centre involves university staff, doctoral, master and bachelor students. Our team regularly publish in high ranking journals such as Frontiers in Ecology and the Environment, Biological Conservation, Applied Geography, Land Use Policy, Ecological Indicators, etc.
The objectives of CCMESI are:
- To develop solutions for local, regional, and global environmental issues;
- To promote the concept of sustainable development in Romania;
- To develop partnerships with universities, industry, local and national authorities;
- To train young researchers and staleholders in the field of environmental sciences;
CCMESI performs research activities in the following fields:
- Rural and urban landscape ecology;
- Biodiversity conservation;
- Environmental impact assessment;
- Geographical Information System (GIS);
- Environmental chemistry;
- Environmental education;
- Management of protected areas;
- Environmental conflicts.
CCMESI works closely with students from Environmental Science Programme @ Faculty of Geography, Environment Assessment Master Programme and Master Environmental Policy Master Programme.
For public information required by the Romanian laws please visit the University of Bucharest website.