Argos based applications for real time wildlife monitoring in Romania (BioMoveFix)
Project ID: PN-III-P2-2.1-PED-2016-0568
Contract number: 72PED/3.01.2017
Funding body: Executive Agency for Higher Education, Research, Development and Innovation Funding (UEFISCDI)
Budget: 662096 RON (68000 RON contribution)
Partners: University of Bucharest, Multidimension SRL
This project aims to develop demonstrative applications for Argos platform transmitters (hereafter, Argos PTT) in Romania, with the aim of providing tools for improving data quality, to promote state of the art research in movement ecology, and to encourage involvement of the local industry in real-time wildlife monitoring.
We will use standard Argos PTT’s data to: (1) test the reception quality conditions in Romania, (2) develop an open-source filter for data obtained from Romania, and (3) to develop a blueprint for real-time wildlife monitoring in Romania.
O.1. To review the potential use, costs, and technical reliability of existing satellite platform transmitters;
O.2. To perform field experimental usage of Argos transmitters in order to assess their potential use and effectiveness in the conditions in Romania;
O.3. To develop corrections filters locations suitable in Romanian territory;
O.4. Develop movement ecology services for real-time wildlife monitoring in Romania and Eastern Europe.
WP1 – Testing the quality of Argos data in Romania
Deliverable: Comprehensive database – onsite acquired Argos locations and relevant GPS data.
WP2 – Evaluation of errors and filters performance the data
Deliverables: Databases with filtered data and full report on the effects of communication conditions on data quality: specifications for an open-source filter for data obtained from Romania.
WP3 – Developing an open-source script for filtering data obtained from Romania
Deliverables: R-language script available to the public on GitHub; user manual; working example.
WP4 – Develop a blueprint of real-time wildlife monitoring in Romania and dissemination of results
Deliverables: workshop on real-time wildlife monitoring in Romania; online manual – based on Argos platform transmitters for wildlife in varying conditions in Romania; a presentation a conference attended by wildlife ecologists in Romania; 2 two oral presentations or posters at renowned prominent international conferences; 2 two submitted open access papers.
- Laurentiu Rozylowicz (UB)
- Paul Bodescu (Multidimension)
- Viorel Popescu (UB)
- Marius Matache (UB)
- Athanasios Gavrilids (Multidimension)
- Cristiana Ciocanea (UB)
- Andreea Nita (UB)
- Iulia Miu (UB)
- Steluta Manolache (UB)
- Vizante Andrei George (Multidimension)
- Costin Enache (Multidimension)
- Ionut Cristian Moale (Multidimension)
Data from field tests:
Report 2017 (pdf in Romanian)
- Laurențiu Rozylowicz, Athanasios Gavrilidis, Iulia Miu, Marius Matache, Steluța Manolache, Cristiana Pioarcă-Ciocănea, Cristian Moale, Andreea Niță, Florian Bodescu – Evaluation of Argos telemetry accuracy in Romania compared with GPS data, International Zoological Congress “Grigore Antipa”, november 2017, Bucharest
- Florian Bodescu, Steluța Manolache, Athanasios Gavrilidis, Iulia Miu, Marius Matache, Cristiana Pioarcă-Ciocănea, Cristian Moale, Andreea Niță – Argos based applications for real time wildlife monitoring in Romania (BioMoveFix), International Zoological Congress “Grigore Antipa”, november 2017, Bucharest
- Memedemin, D., Tudor, M., Cogălniceanu, D., Skolka, M., Bănică, G., Rozylowicz, L. 2017. Update on the Geographic Distribution of Lutra lutra at the Romanian Black Sea Coast. Travaux du Muséum National d’Histoire Naturelle «Grigore Antipa» Vol. 60 (1): 413 – 417.
- Pop I.M., Bereczky L., Chiriac S., Iosif R., Nita A., Popescu V.D., Rozylowicz L. (2018) Movement ecology of brown bears (Ursus arctos) in the Romanian Eastern Carpathians, Nature Conservation 26